|Posted by [email protected] on January 25, 2017 at 10:10 AM|
It's been a busy New Year already on Capital Hill and with the new year comes new issues, policies and health news. The Legislative Spotlight aims to bring you up-to-date information on latest government issues, especially in the realm of health care. We hope that it moves you enough to speak up, speak out and get involved as the voice of nursing students is vital in creating change. Share your thoughts, solutions and most importantly let your voice be heard!
January Spotlight: Congress is headed full force in the direction of cutting the Affordable Care Act (ACA) for many Americans. The ACA will be repealed with no proposed solution to take its place. This will leave as many as 30 million Americans without healthcare. As a trusted profession, nurses and nursing students alike can make a difference by advocating for patients by sending a message to Congress letting them know that we will not stand by and allow our patients to lose access to care. To be done effectively, follow steps below.
1. Find my representative: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
2. Type in address
3. Call representative’s district office
4. Let them know you would like to make a statement
1) Example: “I am a nursing student from your district and I would like for Rep.___ to oppose all attempts to repeal of the Affordable Care Act.
2) If you have a personal story you can also ask If the office taking personal testimonies of how people are impacted by the ACA (if yes, proceed with story if you have one)
5. Ask if the representative has made a public statement to oppose all efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act
Written by Obianuju Chikwere, Legislative Chair