|Posted by Maryland Association of Nursing Students (MANS) on March 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM|
American Healthcare Act: Republicans have released the much anticipated repeal for the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). Key points of the bill:
1. Cancels penalties on people who don’t purchase private insurance and companies that don’t offer insurance for their employees
2. Cancels direct subsidies to lower and middle income Americans to buy insurance, replacing it with tax credits based on income and age
3. Broadens terms governing personal Health Savings Accounts, allowing flexibility for people to save and spend pre-taxed income on their own healthcare
4. Rolls back Medicaid (government program that insures the poor and disabled, including children).
5. Grants funds to states that have not expanded Medicaid to aid in state designed health care plans
6. Allows parents to keep children on healthcare plans until 26 years of age.
7. Mandates insurers to cover people with preexisting conditions but allows companies to apply a surcharge to those determined to have a gap in coverage.
How will you make an impact in ensuring that patients are awarded adequate healthcare? Contact your representative today and mandate that they speak up against this new plan.
Activity: Download Countable - allows you to gain a better understanding of legislation that is being voted on; allows you to connect with your congressperson if they have countable. You can even send video chats!